Saturday, April 01, 2006

Bono - fied

I have a lot of friends who worship Bono. Really kinda bugs me. Bugs me like Amy Grant worship did in the 80's. Bugs me like Beatles worship bugged my father-in-law in the 60's. So many Christians look for any hint of spirituality in their heroes so they can justify worshiping them. Stupid. You like their music? Great. Listen to their music. But quit trying to convince me that they are the next Billy Graham.

Anyway, Bono's a great musician, hugely popular, and that gives him a platform. My opinion is that most famous people should shut up and sing, or shut up and act, or maybe just shut up. Too many times they go on and on about stuff they know nothing about, and because they sing good - people listen, and follow.

So, a friend sent me this link to a speach Bono did at a prayer breakfast at the Whitehouse. I thought... "O great, here we go again." Wow, was I wrong.

This is a great speach. I don't know who wrote it (probably not Bono) or if he even said everything that's in print here, but it doesn't matter. This blog entry isn't really about Bono. It's about being Christ in the world, and these are powerful words about that. Hope it gets you thinking like it did me.


3 comments:

Matt said...

Here's a link to both audio and video of the speech. I'm pretty sure he writes his own stuff, but he does have a political briefer on his staff that keeps him up to date on things.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/bononationalprayerbreakfast.htm

Dean Christensen said...

Even better! He's becoming an exception in my opinion. Thanks Matt.

Dean Christensen said...

Okay, yeah... bad choice of words.

I think what I really wanted to communicate was how impressed I was with this speach. I wasn't expecting to be either... I guess that's what made it cool.