Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Why I Fish

In his book "Long Wandering Prayer", David Hansen defines this kind of prayer as thinking outloud in the presence of God. I like that. It goes a long way to explaining what happens with me when I spend a day on the Deschutes river with my Creator.

I see Him in the high desert flora.
(anyone know this plant? the blossom is about 3" across)


I see Him in the wildlife.


I learn lessons about the importance of following closely.


And then, of course, there are the fish.



Maltbie Babcock had it right when he penned this hymn in 1901...

This is my Father’s world, and to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres.
This is my Father’s world: I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father’s world, the birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white, declare their Maker’s praise.
This is my Father’s world: He shines in all that’s fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass;
He speaks to me everywhere.

I would just add that while some see His beauty and His promise in the rainbow when they look up, I see it when I pull a rainbow out of a river.

3 comments:

Dean Christensen said...

UPDATE - Amature Botanist friends of mine Don & Priscilla Eastman identified the flower as the Showy Milkweed(actually, they identified it as Asclepias Speciosa). They're poisonous... glad I didn't eat it.

Amber said...

I'm hungry now. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dean. Been a while since I visited, and the hymn brings back some old (good) memories. Thanks for the reminder. And nice pictures!