Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Okay, okay... I'll do it!

After much prodding from my family and friends, I am finally breaking down and joining the blogging world. I think the thing that really pushed me into it was entering a new phase of life. This past year Becki and I entered into a chapter of life known as "the empty nest".

Last January, our oldest son Ben left for India. He's been there for a year now and is due to return (for a period) in February. Last August, our youngest son Andy left for college and a journey that will take him... well, who knows where. Last Wednesday, our daughter Katy (a beautiful rose between a couple of ... hmm, dandylions?) became engaged to a young man who will take her away from us. We love him, but she's not my little girl much longer.

And so begins a new chapter, or maybe a new book in a series. It's not being written by me. I'm just one of the characters. And you know what else? It doesn't feel empty... it feels full. I feel more alive than ever. And that's a cool surprise. I'm so excited to see where it leads. Hope you check back often to see where it goes.
Tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I've had the honour/priviliege or whatever you wanna call it, of getting to know your son Benjamin here in India. It's been an experience that's for sure! Thanks for letting him go! Hopefully he returns to you in better condition than he left, and you'll like the input we've all had here into his life!

An English Princess

Dean Christensen said...

A former President's wife once said "it takes a village to raise a child". Long ago we realized that many, many people will pour into our children's lives and make them who they will be.

I've no doubt that he's returning in better condition. Watching from across the big pond, I think he grew from a boy to a man while he was there. Thanks for your part in caring for him.

Ben's Dad